BOARD POWERS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Board of Trustees, whose members are selected as representatives of the people in the school district, shall act as the general agent of the state in carrying out the will of the people of the district in matters of public education.
The Board has those powers which are expressly granted to it by the legislature and also those powers which may be reasonably implied. Within these constraints, the Board of Trustees views its required function in these broad areas.
1. LEGISLATIVE & POLICYMAKING: The Board is responsible for the development of policy as guides for administrative action and for employing a superintendent to implement its policies.
2. APPRAISAL: The Board is responsible for evaluating the effectiveness of its policies and their implementation.
3. PROVISION OF FINANCIAL RESOURCES: The Board is responsible for the adoption of a budget which will provide the wherewithal‑‑in terms of buildings, staff, materials, and equipment‑‑which will enable the school system to carry out the Board's policies.
4. PUBLIC RELATIONS: The Board is responsible for providing adequate and direct means of keeping the local community informed about the schools and for keeping itself and the school staff informed about the needs and wishes of the public.
5. EDUCATIONAL PLANNING & EVALUATION: The Board is responsible for establishing educational goals which will guide both the Board and the staff in working together toward the continuing improvement of the educational system. It is responsible for providing for the ongoing evaluation of the educational program comparing it to the goals and objectives set forth by the Board of Trustees.
6. JUDICIAL: The Board is responsible for acting as a court of appeals for staff members, students, and the public when issues involve Board policy and its fair implementation.
Adoption Date: 11/19/80
Amended Date: 4/17/14