As the governing body of the school district, the Board is legally responsible for the selection of instructional materials.
Since the Board is a policy making body, it delegates to certificated personnel of the district the authority for the selection of instructional and library materials in accordance with the policy below.
Materials for school classroom and school libraries shall be selected by the appropriate certified personnel in consultation with administration, faculty, and students. Final decision on purchase shall rest with the Superintendent or his designee, subject to official adoption by the Board.
The Board believes that it is the responsibility of the district:
· To provide materials that will stimulate growth in factual knowledge, literary appreciation, aesthetic values, and ethical standards.
· To provide materials that will enrich and support the curriculum taking into consideration the varied interests, abilities, and maturity levels of the pupils served;
· To provide a background of information which will enable students to make intelligent judgments in their daily lives;
· To provide materials on opposing sides of controversial issues so that young citizens may develop, with guidance, the practice of analytical reading and thinking;
· To provide materials representative of the many religious and ethnic and cultural groups, showing their contributions to our American heritage.
These principals shall serve as a guide in the selection of all instructional and library materials.
(Adoption date 11/19/80)